Your Destination in Großarl, Großarltal
Alpine Hut Loosbühelalm in Salzburg, 1,769m Above Sea Level
Guests and locals alike appreciate the Loosbühelalm as a fantastic hiking and excursion destination in Salzburg. It is wonderful here: nestled in the middle of nature at 1,769m, with a panoramic view of Ellmautal, delicious specialties and genuine hospitality. The mountain hut is known for its tasty dishes, that are made almost exclusively with the farm’s own products.. Recently, the hut was ranked in the top GenussHütten in the Genussregion (“Enjoyment Region”) of Austria. The alpine hut in Großarltal is the perfect place to take a break, enjoy walks, mountain hikes, family reunions, group excursions and trips with the kids!
How to Get to Your Destination in Ellmautal, Großarl
From the parking area to the alm hut it takes about 1 1/4 hours at a comfortable pace. In summer, overnight guests, people with disabilities and families with small children are allowed to drive up to 100 m in front of the hut. In winter, the road is closed to vehicles (except: taxis and on-site transport). The road to Loosbühelalm is an official mountain bike trail.
Try ski touring up to the alm or continue on around the famous ski touring area with its beautiful peaks. You can also try out snow-shoeing or just enjoy a nice hike up to the hut. The road is perfect for a fun toboggan party that you can begin from Loosbühelalm (toboggan rental available at the hut – subject to availability). Come visit us in winter and recharge with our homemade products and refreshing drinks; then warm yourselves by the tiled stove in the cozy Almstuben.
The Beginning of Spring at Loosbühelalm
Hike and Discover the Majestic Mountains
Spring is one of the best seasons for us. The mountain snow begins to melt and the first signs of spring emerge. While many other places are still covered in snow, you can come enjoy a hike around Loosebühelalm. We open the hut in Salzburg on the 1st of May. The ascent leads through meadows blooming with rare flowers. It is worth your while to come for a hike or an overnight stay at Loosbühelalm.
Stemless Gentian (Gentiana acaulis) – Endangered & Protected!
- Characteristics: Hermaphrodite rosette plant with large upright, dark blue flowers that have green stripes inside
- Height: 5 – 10 cm
- Flowering: V – VIII
- Locations: Mats, Meadows
- We locals call this flower the “Pumpaglock’n”
Heather/Erika (Calluna vulgaris)
- Characteristics: Small shrub with different pink to violet flowers. The flowers look tile shaped and grow out successively
- Height: up to 50 cm
- Flowering: in our area, from May until Autumn
- Location: mountain meadows, sunny areas
Bird’s Eye Primrose (Primula farinosa) – Protected!
- Characteristics: This Primulaceae is a perennial, hermaphroditic rosette plant. It has 5 pink petals that are fused into a short tube
- Height: 5 – 20 cm
- Flowering: V – VII
- Location: moist meadows
- We locals call it this flower “Hasenrad” – which is literally translated to “Rabbit Bike”
- Various Hiking Trails that take you to Loosbühelalm
- Continue on to, for example, Tappenkarsee or to the top of Draugstein
- Salzburger Alpenweg trail to the hut, Tauernhöhenweg trail ca. 30 min. away
- Official Mountain Bike Trail to the Alm
- Hot and Cold Food: alternating daily specials
- Hut food, Bauernbratl, Milchkitzspezialitäten, Kasnock’n, Rindsbraten,… – must be pre-ordered for at least 4 people
- Large Sun Terrace, cozy Restaurant, Playground, Petting Zoo
- Regular Events